So we are a whopping 11 days into twenty-ten and everyone is slowly settling back into the daily grind. Many of us were fortunate to have some time off to relax and ponder what 2010 has in store for us. I don’t think there is a written law that you must cast your resolution by the first for the spell to work, so I am opting that for those of us who are still trying to decide exactly what we would like to update about ourselves and our homes this year, to really think about what we want, and stick with it!
What are your Home Resolutions this year? I would love to hear your ideas! If you are having trouble, here are a few ideas to get you inspired!
- Green is In: Make 2010 your year to help the environment by using greener products. There are so many options for eco friendly home products now the choices are endless! I love Mrs.Meyers new Basil scent. Also, stay tuned this week for some great links on products!
- Declutter!: Look around, I bet you have piles all over! Piles of magazines, newspapers, bills to be paid. Kids toys, dog toys. Piles of clean clothes, and clothes that need to be folded. By organizing one small area in your home, you will automatically lift some stress away and feel better instantly.
- Use your good dishes, burn the candle you have been saving, unwrap that soap: What are you waiting for? Don’t just wait for a special occasion to use your “good” stuff! Today is Monday, you should be able to enjoy it! Soy candles are a great option because the burn longer. One of my favorites is Pink Grapefruit signature soy candle from Archipelago Botanicals.
- Cook at Home: Whether once a week or once a month, instead of going out to eat, pick a new recipe for something that you have always wanted to try and make it. Another idea is to pick up something from your local farmers market that you have never tasted and give it a try. I chose Brussels Sprouts the other day, which I really didn’t think I would enjoy! I roasted them with Olive Oil, Garlic, and Balsamic Vinegar ~ So Tasty! I will definitely be making them again.
- Out with the Old: Time to dust off all the picture frames that have had the same pictures in there for decades, and refill them with new photos. You will have updated the rooms look, and added some fresh faces! If you need new frames, I think the cleaner the better so your image stands out. I love these white on white gallery frames from Room and Board.
- Flower Power: Allow yourself a special bouquet once a month. Find flowers that are cost effective and tend to last a little longer (Spider Mums or Lilies for example) so you can enjoy the benefits as long as possible! Here is an arrangement that I did with Flowering Chives, Spider Mums, and Freesia in a Mason Jar.
- Just Do It: Everyone has a project in there home that is 3/4 of the way complete. Well, its time to be accountable and just finish the project! Mark your calendar and give yourself a deadline!
- Recycle: Set up a recycling station in your home and your impact can be enormous! This is also a great way to get your kids involved. Stay tuned for some ideas on creative recycling centers!
- Get with the Program: By Installing a programmable thermostat the average consumer can save about $180 on energy costs. Read more about it here. Make sure you purchase one that is Energy Star approved like this one from Lux.
- Start Small: Pick one space in your home that you would like to revamp, and start there. Make sure you completely finish it before moving onto the next project. You may just get so inspired that your whole house could be complete by 2011!